The Near Witch

The Near Witch - Victoria Schwab Ok, I’m going to warn you, this review might be a little fangirly.Once I read the synopsis I was captivated, but I was also a little wary, because sometimes the synopsis gives away it all and makes the book dull and boring. This was NOT the case! I was drawn in from the first page, each word pulling me further and further into a spellbinding novel. The way the Near Witch was written is different than any I have ever read before. It was descriptive, lyrical, and semi-poetic, each word had a purpose and a mission. Some people don’t like description in novels, but I happen to like it, and the Near Witch is a great example why. The moor and its inhabitants seemed so real and were painted so beautifully that I felt myself feeling for all the people whose kids were taken. I loved the characters in The Near Witch, they were seamless and believable, none of them did things that were out of character. Lexi is one of my new favorite characters, she is reminiscent of other kick-butt heroines such as Katinss from The Hunger Games and Katsa from Graceling. She didn’t let anything anyone said stop her from doing what she thought was right, she is a great example to girls everywhere. Cole… oh Cole. He was filled with so many surprises and twists. Also he wasn’t a “bad boy” that is so prevalent in books today. He was sweet as well as not being a pushover.When I first picked up this book I was going through kind of a reading slump and The Near Witch blew my mind and reminded me why I love to read and why I love to blog. It reminded me why I called my blog A Reader’s Adventure. Because some books take you to places and worlds that you could never have imagined in a million years. The Near Witch was my adventure, and Victoria Schwab was my expert travel guide. Thank you Victoria for the reminder.The Near Witch combined everything that is good about books, beautiful writing, exquisite characters, amazing world building, with just a touch of good old-fashioned scariness. This was the best book I have read this year and possibly in years.