The False Prince (Ascendance Trilogy Series #1)

The False Prince (Ascendance Trilogy Series #1) - I listened to The False Prince on audio and I really enjoyed it! The reader was fantastic and he totally embodied not only Sage but all the other characters. I think when I read the second book it will probably be in his voice. So if you have the opportunity to listen to this one I definitely recommend it! Also it would be great for road trips with your family because it is technically middle grade.I love fantasy books. While I really enjoy all other types of books, fantasy is my love. Though even I can admit sometimes the plots feel contrived. Not The False Prince, the idea is very similar to others. A group trying to take over a country you know the story. But how often does it happen that they try to take over the country by trying to essentially bring the Prince back from the dead. (He has been missing/presumed dead. No sorcery or necromancy here)I loved all four boys. They were all so different and so like many other boys that I have known over the course of my life. But even with that I fell in love with Sage. He is the perfect middle grade boy character. His is a rascal, smart, and funny. Plus he has a few more tricks up his sleeve than you may think.Jennifer Nielsen created a richly developed story with just enough twists and turns to make it interesting. Also, I loved the major plot twist. It was perfect and executed so well!Basically if you are looking for a book to read with your kids or just plain want a good fantasy to read yourself, The False Prince is right for you. And even better the second book; The Runaway King is already out so you don't have to wait!It is debated on whether or not The False Prince is MG or YA but it does not really matter since it is really good for MG on up!